Algorithmics I (WS 2019/20)
- The lecture will cover the first half of the semester (2 lectures per week) from October 8 to November 22. In the second half of the semester we will offer the lecture Algorithmics II.
- The excercise on Wednesday, November 6 is cancelled due to illness.
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Markus Lohrey (Room H-A 7103, Tel. 0271-740-2826)
- Tuesday, 16:00-18:00, in H-B 4419/20
- Friday, 8:00-10:00, in H-F 112
- Wednesday, 12:00-14:00, in H-F 001 (Danny Hucke)
We will discuss important design principles for efficient algorithms (divide & conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming) using concrete applications (e.g. sorting, graph algorithms, numerical algorithms). We will also introduce problem specific data structures (e.g. search trees, union-find data structures) and the necessary mathematical tools for analyzing algorithms.
- Divide and Conquer
- Greedy algorithms
- Dynamic programming
- Graph algorithms
- Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, Clifford Stein, Introduction to Algorithms (3. Edition). MIT Press 2009
- Thomas Ottmann, Peter Widmayer, Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen (5. Edition). Springer 2012
- Uwe Schöning, Algorithmik. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag 2001